Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lich Lord Venethrax

Another of my Cryx favourites, Venethrax is a hot model. Another medium based melee monster, with Reach, the spell list, and Dismember, he's definitely my choice against Hordes. I had some brief success with him in early MKII before my year long sabbatical with Khador, so I'm drooling green corrosive blobs at the thought of busting him out again.

Army Name: 50 Venethrax TierA
Cryx
Theme Force: The Dragon Slayers Tier 4
50+6 points, 40 models

Lich Lord Venethrax +6 points
* 3x Defiler 5 points each
* 2x Seether 8 points each

6 Bloodgorgers 5 points
General Gerlak Slaughterborn 3 points
10 Mechanithralls 5 points
* 1 Brute Thrall 1 point
10 Mechanithralls 5 points
* 1 Brute Thrall 1 point
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls 2 points
Pistol Wraith 3 points


I'm thinking this will accompany my eAsphy list to Conquest in April. It's a bit less of an Assassination list and more scenario based, with lots of Mechanithralls to tie up enemies/hold zones, Seethers to toss objectives around, and Defilers to clear space. While I'm tempted to field him every time I see a Hordes army, I think I'll be more tactical and pick based on scenario.

My Bloodgorgers have never had a lot of luck, I think in 6 outings I've never passed one Tough roll with them, so I'm yet to really capitalise on their nastyness. Gerlak, on the other hand, minces the living shit out of things thanks to Killing Spree quite regularly.

Speaking of the eAsphy list, I'm toying with reworking it as a theme list.  At Tier4, I admittedly loose the Bloodgorgers, Slaughterborn, Skarlock and Pistol Wraith, but I do gain two minimum squads of Cephalyx Drudges and a free unit of Overlords.  Add in the ability to take my beloved Withershadow Combine and it's could be all gravy.  I'd still have the Bane's for the assassination run under Spectral Legion, and let's face it medium based Bloodgorgers aren't going to fit well for that feat, so I think it could work.  I swap the ranged support of the Skarlock and Pistol Wraith for three Dark Fires and three Psychic Assault sprays, and get a little bit more coverage area-wise with the two units of Drudges - I might have to give it a go.

Meanwhile I've begun a little work on project Slaughter School, which I've slightly redesigned the list on.  I've dropped back one Defiler to a Nightwretch to upgrade the Reaper to a Corruptor, giving me a little extra range and some nice AOE potential against living models.  I'm a little hesitant about that, as the Reaper did give me the Drag option to set up assassination runs, but I'll playtest both and see once the plastic kit I have is assembled - I've still got to find a few lil bits and pieces to give him some more character, but I think the Infernal Swapper of Arms is going to get a lot of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment